Sit back and enjoy a snack now and then with these low glycemic treats for diabetics which also protect the health of your heart.
Good choices of low glycemic treats for Diabetics include:
- Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.
- HARD BOILED EGGS: Rich in high-quality proteins and essential vitamins and minerals, eggs are often used as THE standard by which other food proteins are judged.
➡ While egg yolk is rich in fat (about 14 g/egg) over 85% of it is unsaturated fat.
- Fresh blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries, and blackberries are all packed with healthful nutrients. They have only 80 calories per cup and almost no fat.
Many berries are also very high in fiber and antioxidants. Combine them with healthy protein (like Greek yogurt or nuts) for a balanced snack.
- Hummus is full of nutritious ingredients, including chickpeas, garlic, tahini, and olive oil.
- It’s widely used as a spread (great substitute for mayo), side dish, or dip. Try a cup of hummus dip with chilled, crunchy vegetables.
Granola fits perfectly with the low glycemic treats for diabetics…which means it’s also good for your heart.
It’s made from whole rolled oats mixed with nuts, seeds, and/or dried fruit. Crunchy granola does fine as a “stand-alone” snack, or in combination with yogurt, milk or as a topping for desserts and ice cream.
Yogurt, especially **Greek yogurt, is a great snack with a balance of protein, carbs, and fats. It’s even better combined or topped with nuts, seeds, and /or berries.
**Greek yogurt offers more protein, a thicker texture, and provides better nutrition overall.
MODERATION IS THE KEY
➡ Snack only in moderation to satisfy hunger or give you more energy between meals. Even healthy nutritious snacks are not calorie free.
Snacking out of habit or boredom is counterproductive in terms of weight loss.
➡ Be especially aware of mindless “TV-induced” snacking habits – This is one of the worst destroyers of any eating plan.
➡ Aim for balanced high-quality nutrition
➡ Snack only when hungry
➡ Eat controlled, sensible portions